VFW Auxiliary National Art Contest
An art contest for students in grades K-8.
DUE: MARCH 31, 2023
- Entry must be completed during the current school year.
- Entry must be two dimensional.
- Entry must be on canvas or paper.
- Submit canvas entries on a stretcher frame or canvas board. Other entries if matted must be matted in white.
- Do not use color mats.
- Reinforce the back with heavy paper. Mounted and floating mats may also be used. Do not frame art.
- Entries may not be smaller than 8″ × 10′ and not larger than 18″ x 24″, not including mat larger than 18″ in any direction.
- Watercolor, pencil, pastel, charcoal, tempera, crayon, acrylic, pen, ink, oil, glitter, marker or other media may be used.
- Complete contest application and attached to back of entry.
- If the American Flag is used, it DOES NOT need to conform to the Federal Flag Code in relation to colors or numbers of stars and stripes.
- Parent or guardian signature required on contest application.
- Entry will be judged on patriotic theme and technique.
- Coloring Sheets, digital art, photography and jewelry are NOT accepted.
- Students in grades K-8 who are enrolled in a public, private, parochial or home study program in the United States, its territories and possessions, or dependents of U.S. military or civilian personnel in overseas schools.
- Although U.S. citizenship is not required, students must be lawful U.S. permanent residents or have applied for permanent residence (the application for which has not been denied) and intends to become a U.S citizen.
- Student does not have to be related to a VFW or VFW Auxiliary member to participate.
- Foreign exchange students and students aged 15 or older are ineligible.
- National grade division winners of previous Illustrating America contests may enter the subsequent grade division but are ineligible for the same grade division of which they are a previous national winner.
VFW Auxiliary is not responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected entries. All scores are final as received from the judges. Falsifying information on the entry form is reason for immediate disqualification. All contestants agree to abide by the contest rules. Any violation of these rules shall be cause for immediate disqualification and forfeiture of award.
To acquire contact information and application assistance in your state please email [email protected]
VFW Auxiliary Judging and Deadlines
- March 31: Student entries must be submitted to a participating sponsoring VFW Auxiliary.
- April 15: One winner from each VFW Auxiliary advances to the VFW Auxiliary Department (state).
- May 5: VFW Auxiliary Department (state) winners due to VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters.
- July: Students will be notified of entry status via the email address provided on the entry form.
- August: First through third place winners named in each of the two grade divisions on VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters social media pages and shown at the VFW Auxiliary National Convention.
- September: Art will be returned to address on entry form.