Welcome to the VFW Post 4278, Camas / Washougal WA.
VFW Post 4278 is just 19 miles east of downtown Vancouver, WA on HWY 14, nestled in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge. We meet for coffee on Wednesday and most Fridays at 9 am at the Camas Community Center, 1718 SE 7th Avenue, Camas. Come on out, we will keep the coffee hot.
Our Post business meetings are on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7 pm at the Community Center. Auxiliary business meetings are on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 9 am at the Community Center.
Membership in the VFW is only open to veterans who have served in a foreign war or served in hostile waters and are entitled to the campaign medals. However, anyone in the members family may join the Auxiliary. Please contact us for more information.
The purpose of the VFW Post 4278 and Auxiliary are fraternal, patriotic, historical and educational. Its aims are to preserve and strengthen comradeship, assist our veterans and their families, to maintain true allegiance to the government of the United States of America and to foster patriotism through its programs.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW
1. Saluting Protocol: Only used during the Tues meeting when you are addressing the Commander
2. The VFW service hat is the formal hat for meetings and official events (conventions, funerals, etc). They can be purchased from the Quartermaster.
3. Blue and Gray – Our Formal Uniform – but not mandatory: consists of grey slacks, a blue blazer, white shirt, tie, and service hat
— We have blazers that people have donated you can try and take if they fit
4. The VFW Ballcap is optional and can be purchased from Judy Graves (Aux). We usually wear them for Gee Creek, Camas Days, Poppy Drive, etc. You can also wear any ball cap (Navy, Marines, AF, Vietnam, WWII, etc). It is your choice.
5. The VFW blue shirt or sweatshirt is optional and Bob Hitchcock takes all the orders
6. Anyone can bring donuts, just let us know. Usually, Bob Hitchcock or Dana Difford bring the donuts and on the third Wed of the month, the Auxiliary brings them. Bob, Dana and Gary Andreas are the Coffee people (they usually get there at 8 AM to start the coffee and open up).
7. Coin Raffle: On Wed and Fri coffees we have 50 coins to be purchased for 25cents a coin. At the end of the coffee, we pick a coin and that individual wins the pot. You can keep the money; donate it to the Children’s Home, Coffee Fund, General Fund, Wreaths Across America, etc.
— On meetings nights the coins are $1 each
8. We have signup sheets for all events (Gee Creek rest stop, Poppy Drive, Veterans in the classroom, etc). You can sign up for any of these events and the time you want to help. These usually come out about 2 weeks before an event. The Commander usually makes the announcement.
— There are a few things we do that you do not have to sign up for. The three cemetery events during Memorial Day (Fern Prairie Cemetery, placing flags at the Camas Cemetery, and Washougal Cemetery). Also placing blocks at the Camas Cemetery for the Wreaths Across America event and picking up the wreaths in January.
9. We take cash and checks for everything (hats, shirts, raffles, dinner, etc). The only time we can take a credit card is for purchases from our dinner /fundraiser.
Blogger – Want to view updates for the VA or items that may pertain to you. Or have something of interest you would like to share. Check out our blogger by clicking on the blog on the Menu above
Each year, in December, VFW Post 4278 places Wreaths on the graves of our veterans, at the Camas Cemetery, through the Wreaths Across America Program. Please consider donating a wreath to this great cause by clicking on this link. It will take you directly to our page on the WAA website.
Introducing Shannon Roberts for Camas City Council. Ward 1 Position 1 U.S. Navy Veteran Jr. Vice Commander of VFW Post 4278. For more information go to ShannonRobertsForCamas.com